Friday, April 29, 2011

Raccoon Raucous

Hello my friends who might end up reading this oft neglected blog :) It is my intent to write here about my adventures this summer to keep people informed who might be interested. If that's you...welcome.

I arrived at CanAdventure Education just outside of Sayward, BC on Vancouver Island 4 days ago. Coming to a new place with all new faces is always a bit nerve wracking and involves some psychcing up of my people skills! It's always funny talking to those new faces later becuase everyone is always in the same boat with that! The ferry crossing to the island was kind of symbolic in a way because it really felt like I was crossing to a new place physically but also emotionally and was a time to get ready for this new chapter.

This place is great so far! It is very accepting and a place where unique individuals are free to be themselves and develop themselves. These first two weeks have been staff training and involve a few people who wont be staff but wanted to learn about doing experiential learning with youth at risk. We've been participating in and leading different activities that are involving us with nature and leadership and looking inward. Lots of reflecting and speaking about what's going on inside as far as learning.

The people around me are fantastic unique individuals and a few have the same passions of the outdoors and counseling so it is awesome to network and share dreams and visions about what we are thinking. The life experience is amazing! ok, the food has been amazing as well!

I want to put some pictures up soon too...but one quick story. So we all have a place that we've picked that we can go to, to sit and think that is sort of our spot. We went our separate ways one day to find something in nature that represents us. I was looking around and heard a low growl...instantly i think cougar...so i freeze and listen really carefully and hear it again. Then i hear a scrambling up a tree and a huge raccoon is climbing the tree right next to where I'm standing! It climbs really high when i see a second one already in the tree. they then have this huge brawl in the tree falling from branch to branch and screaming. Haha! it was kind of neat to see and i decided that it represented the fighter in me sometimes :) What represents you in nature? I'm interested....

No comments: