Sunday, September 14, 2008

WHY its meant to be....

So I tried posting on my iphone and it didn't really let me write, except for the title...hence the post with no info. So here is the rest....

I feel like its been a process for me since I moved to kamloops. A process of accepting the change. Just being in school again, in a new city, with new people...not really having a plan. For these first couple of weeks I haven't been too sure about it all. I decided that if I was IN the moment, it was ok. If i looked back or ahead I got a bit anxious. I guess Being in the moment isn't a bad thing, I've always thought it's important to BE where you are, but i do feel i need to reconcile the past, present and future to be fully content with where God has me. It will continue being a process for a while at least, but I DO feel this present peace....that I am in a good place and there is nothing i would rather be studying/doing/learning than what I am right now. So i'm feeling its meant to be. This is a good feeling, so one moment at a time I'm experiencing new and exciting adventures!!

The second week of our first class was a 5 day backpacking trip.
Although I've been backpacking quite a bit, this trip was different in that we weren't on trails. This campsite is in a nice open alpine area...what you dont see is the thick vegetation we had to force our way through a lot of the time. (my thighs are bruised from my knees up). The idea was to navigate using a topo map and compass. This is so new to me but i ended up loving it!
So here I am looking at the map trying to figure out where we are using peaks in the distance or other contours.(I AM in school you know) I seriously always wondered how people found out where they were located using a compass and now i know how, its amazing!!
Here we are at the top of Trophy mountain! this pic was taken just before a whiteout hit and we were about to head down a different route than we came up! little did we know what lay ahead...This is what lay ahead! A Steep rocky descent in blowing snow and wind that we had to navigate down. It cleared up a little once we got below the clouds...just so we could see how steep the fall to our death would actually be.The mountain in the middle is trophy. This was taken from the campsite we got too the same day we summited it!
Here's our group from left to right: Abbey, me, nate, ken(our leader), aaron, james and sean.I guess now I'm officially a mountain woman!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you add more info about it.

Mama Bear said...

great pics!

Anonymous said...

Hey Renae, that looks awesome. Makes me want to go to the mountains again! Except I would die if I had to wear that huge pack you have there strapped on me, but maybe someday when Im rich I can hire someone to carry everything for me...and me...when I get tired, and then I can hike up mountains too!! We played phone tag yesterday...hopefully we can talk tonight. We will be painting all day, so a bit later would probably be better. Jesse just got home around 5 in the morning from a medivac, so we probably won't get started till about noon....talk to you soon!
Tamara

righthere.rightnow. said...

Sweet! Adventure race training... now about next summer...