Thursday, January 01, 2009

A new Adventure!!

Hola from Paraguay South America!!!!

Some of you may know i'm here and some may not, so i thought i'd write a little blurb on what's been going on with me. I have an Aunt who lives here in Asuncion Paraguay as a missionary. For a long time i've wanted to visit her and i've just never made the opportunity happen, but now it just sort of fell in my lap. Two days a week my Aunt works at an AIDS center called Alto Refugio (High Refuge). This is an amazing ministry started by a couple who are Canadian's but who both grew up here and raised their own family here as well. The center offers meals, support groups, counselling, meds, clothing, aids education, hospital visits, and above all a family environment filled with love for an often rejected and shunned group of people. My mom arranged a while ago to come and help them paint the center and I just couldn't let this opportunity go! I feel so honored to be able to help them in this way as...me...with a skill that is so natural. I have never thought i would use painting in this way...its great!! It's even more amazing to be here with my grandpa and my mom...three generations together coming to visit family and help out! So tomorow we officially start working and then it will be a couple of weeks of endless painting :)

So far the excitment that has happened has come in the form of almost missing flights, having bags not arrive with us on our flight, very full buses, a gecko flying out at me from an air conditioner, and teaching the dog how to fetch :) I'm sure there will be more stories to come, maybe with more detail! Anyone wan't to quickly give me a spanish lesson? I'm feeling way out of my element in that way here...i'm determined to learn some here, and more when i get home. For now,

Feliz Anyo Nuevo Everybody!!!

4 comments:

Bloggy Mama said...

Whoa, cool!!!
Have a great time and bless everyone you can ;)
How long are you there for?

renae plett. said...

thanks! I'm here till Jan 22, see you when i'm back :)

righthere.rightnow. said...

Hey Renae,

A helpful phrase I learned in Costa Rica that you will use a lot is "no habla espanol". Hope it helps!

Very jealous of you but still thinking you're rad... sigh... lucky girl,

Sandra

Mama Bear said...

whew hOO!! can't wait to see pictures :)